With spring comes the anticipation of prom season for thousands of teens. Formal attire is purchased, hair appointments are scheduled and arrangements to take pictures at a unique location are made in preparation for the big day. Amidst all the excitement, do not lose the opportunity to talk to your teen about the pressures they may face on prom night. Pressure to engage in sexual activity and participate in substance abuse is high. That being said, building up your teen’s self-esteem prior to prom and having a conversation with them about the choices they may face is important.
- “What will you be doing after from?”
- “Who will you be with after prom?”
- “How can you mentally prepare for unexpected situations that may arise?”
- “If you find yourself in a situation that is uncomfortable, do not hesitate to call someone (mother, father or sibling) and we will pick you up.”
- “It does not matter how much money your date may have spent on your ticket and corsage, you do not owe them anything. They have the privilege of taking you on a date. It is ok to say no.”