Social distancing is hard for both parents and children. But this can be a great opportunity for you to spend some time with your family. School-work can only fill up so much time everyday.
Here are some ideas for things to do while your family is self-quarantined:
- Go on virtual tours. There are some great virtual experiences that you can have without leaving your home! Check out these free virtual tours of beautiful National Parks and international museums.
- Reach out. Call, text, video chat and write cards to your friends and extended family. Focus on those who are most isolated and vulnerable to the coronavirus.
- Exercise. Get outside and go for a walk. Stay healthy and soak up some vitamin D.
- Develop skills. Since you and your kids have the time, teach them life skills like cooking, baking, laundry, etc.
- Take on home projects. Is there a room that you've been thinking of painting for a long time? Now is the time for you and your kids to tackle fun projects together!
- Deliver groceries to the elderly. The elderly are the most vulnerable at this time and should not be going to the store, even for necessities. Serve them by delivering necessities directly to their doors while maintaining safe distance.
- Make butter. Making homemade butter in a mason jar is a great and rewarding way to entertain kids.
- Pray. Prayer is powerful. God speaks hope into even the darkest of situations. Take the time to pray together as a family. We read in Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Read Scripture and go on prayer walks as a family. Let God sustain you.