Amidst all the excitement, do not lose the opportunity to talk to your teen about the pressures they may face on prom night. Our culture teaches young adults to perceive prom night as an opportunity to compromise their beliefs and boundaries. Because of this, building up your teen's strength of character prior to prom and having a conversation with them about the choices they may face is important.
Ask your teen...
- "What will you be doing after prom?"
- "Who will you be with that evening?"
- "How can you prepare mentally for the unexpected situations that may arise at prom?"
- "What boundaries have you made for yourself going into prom?"
- "If you find yourself in a situation that is uncomfortable, do not hesitate to call someone (mother, father or sibling) and we will pick you up no matter the circumstance."
- "It does not matter how much money your date may have spent on your ticket and corsage, you do not owe them anything. They have the privilege of taking you on a date. It is ok to say no."